Thursday, January 21, 2010

Procrastination and Smooth Jazz

The last week or so I have been so apathetic towards school work. Okay, I realize a lot of people are that way, but I seriously feel content to sit around and read a book or watch TV (finding new shows to watch on Hulu is beginning to be a problem) when I should really be working on my thesis. When I discuss this lack of motivation with my roommate, I can see the some of the same attitude in her demeanor. Although, I seem to be doing a lot more sighing than she does and I think I might be developing a lazy eye. Well, she is a self-described "thesis machine" which I have a hard time competing with.


I have a meeting with my advisor tomorrow. I feel confident that I'm getting work done, but I will say that I'm not exactly enjoying it. I think I would get way more experience if I could take more classes rather than spend so much time putting together such a specific project. Oh well, most graduate programs require a thesis, so I'm not holding out hope that this will ever change.

On the up side of my week: I've started a new station for myself on Pandora that's becoming something of an obsession...plus it really helps me focus when I'm writing because the songs are soothing and I don't know any of the lyrics. I don't know about you, but I can't write if I'm going to feel compelled to sing along to the music. For example, I LOVE the Glee soundtracks (Vol. 1 and 2), but I could never listen to them when I'm writing. How could I not sing along to Lea Michelle singing "Don't Rain on My Parade"?

My previously mentioned roommate's new beau told her about this great female jazz singer called Miss Tess. When I listened to her, I loved her music! And with her stuff as a base for my Pandora station, I can honestly say I like just about everything that comes up under this genre...Ella Fitzgerald, Diana Krall, Sophie Milman, etc. Check her out and you'll immediately feel like drinking some coffee or doing a little slow dance with your sweetheart.


Isn't she adorable?!

No comments:

Post a Comment