Sunday, July 5, 2009

The Technology Angel of Death Strikes Again!


OK, so my very first post explained my abismal relationship with technology. I joke about it, but sometimes I wonder if I'm cursed. I manage to kill things without even trying. You may think I'm overreacting, but let's see what you think after I tell you about my most recent technology woes.


Exhibit A: My mostly new camera is the biggest battery whore I've ever seen. I got a really nice camera when I began graduate school since we take a lot of pictures of architecture and interiors, so we need a good zoom. When taking pictures to document a plantation and its outbuildings, I discovered that the camera would take about 5-10 pictures before dying. I bought an 8-pack of AA batteries and used them all over the span of about 3 hours. It still works, but I can only wonder what the problem is.


Exhibit B: I live near the beach, so I've been trying to visit it as much as I can while class is out for the summer. On one such occasion, I stopped at Taco Bell for some lunch on my way over. I don't eat fast food often, but I get a craving every once in a while. I also got a drink which I stupidly put in my beach bag. Naturally, it spills and I have a bad feeling that my iPod became yet another casualty. It isn't broken, but some of the songs started skipping. So, I took the advice of some friends who have had experiences with submerged cell phones and left it alone for a few days to make sure it dries out completely. I'm still too nervous to turn it on.


Exhibit C: The most frustrating thing so far has been my car. I drive a 2002 Jeep and even though it was bought used, it's been an excellent car with very few problems. However, I am getting ready to take the dang thing back in to the car dealership for the third time in less than a month. The first problem was a rear window that wouldn't go up and down with the switch anymore. All I did was try to let a moth out and the thing craps out on me. I got to pay the men at the dealership a $60 service fee to hook something that had become unhooked. They found multiple other things to fix....of course....and I paid them another $85 to get my check engine light to go off. And when I got back in my car to leave, guess what? The check engine light is still on! By then end of it all I've paid them another $115 to fix it and I feel like I've been had. I know I'm a girl who doesn't know anything about cars, but it's not fair that I have to go into a car place and feel like I'm being swindled. Egh! To make matters worse, my car is now sporting it's own personal jet engine rumbling noise complete with the smell of burnt rubber whenever I drive somewhere. So now I'm getting ready to take it in for a third time.


My lack of success with all things technological and mechanical is very frustrating to me. I know so little about most of it that I am completely stranded when something goes wrong. My dad usually takes care of these things for me. I know that must make me sound pretty useless, but I'll admit that it's nice to let someone else take care of that sort of thing when they're good at it. I completely trust my dad in all things, but he's not here to do this for me. It's hard to appear like you know what your doing when you don't. I suppose I'll find out the damage when I take my car in to the shop tomorrow. Hopefully it can be fixed before I leave town in a week.


And so, my ill-fated relationship with technology continues...

No comments:

Post a Comment